Prince George’s Co. Public School students return to class this fall
Prince George County Public School students will be back in class this fall.
Students at public schools in Prince George County, Maryland will be back in classrooms this fall after a year of virtual and blended learning, thanks to the coronavirus pandemic.
“Hybrid education will be discontinued in accordance with guidelines from the Maryland State Department of Education and the state school board,” Monica Goldson, general manager of the school system, said in a statement. Youtube video to the school community.
“Our goal is to have students back in our buildings this fall full time and in person every day.”
Goldson encourages students aged 12 or older to get the COVID-19 vaccine.
Full-time in-person lessons will be available to students in Kindergarten to Grade 12, five days a week, as part of a pre-pandemic school schedule.
Children in Kindergarten to Grade 6 who are not eligible for a vaccine will have a limited app-based virtual learning option. And students who cannot return to school due to medical conditions can apply Home and hospital education services.
Here are more details on what Prince George County plans to offer, according to a press release:
Fall Virtual Learning Program (Kindergarten to Grade 6)
- There will be a limited number of places available for students who wish to continue virtual learning, but the program will be halted once a COVID-19 vaccine becomes available.
- Parents must register before Wednesday June 30.
- The program adheres to regular elementary and middle school schedules, but virtual teachers may not belong to the schools assigned to students.
- Students can return for in-person instruction at the end of the first semester in January.
Online Campus (Grades 7-12)
- A new PGCPS specialty program that will accommodate 700 students is designed for those who thrive in an online learning environment. It will combine synchronous and asynchronous instruction. The school system said the program will focus on core content areas with limited elective course offerings.
Get the latest news and daily headlines delivered to your inbox by signing up here.
© 2021 OMCP. All rights reserved. This website is not intended for users located in the European Economic Area.