Evander Holyfield’s heartbreaking message to daddy ahead of his 58-year-old return
Holyfield returns to the ring tonight against UFC legend Vitor Belfort in his first professional fight in over a decade
Evander Holyfield has revealed his children wonder why he returned to the ring at the age of 58.
The former world heavyweight champion will make a comeback tonight when he takes on former UFC star Vitor Belfort in eight rounds in Florida.
The fight will be sanctioned and will be Holyfield’s first professional fight in over a decade.
His decision to intervene with a week’s notice after Oscar De La Hoya was forced to step down after contracting Covid-19 has been heavily criticized.
And of his children, of whom he is 11, Holyfield said: “This is the first time my kids have told me … ‘Daddy, you don’t need to be hit’.”
Belfort himself is fighting in a boxing ring for only the second time – and Holyfield is convinced it will serve him well.
“At least I’m fighting someone I know I can protect myself from [against],” he said ESPN . “It’s all about protection. You don’t become a good fighter until you know how not to get hit … I know all that is needed to be safe.
“It’s a little hard to refuse a big sum of something when you know you can do it. Plus you have to understand, they say fighting someone who boxes is not their thing.”
Concerns over Holyfield increased this week after a poor performance in his media practice on Wednesday.
He then made several mistakes during his press conference, including forgetting the location of one of his biggest fights. He was also seen cursing his words during an interview.
And having weighed more than a stone more than Belfort last night, Holyfield struggled to answer questions put to him, failing to consistently provide a prediction for fight night.
But he remains obsessed with a third fight with Mike Tyson, which is part of the reason why he accepts the fight with Belfort.
Tyson is expected to be in Miami tonight after sharing a controversial rivalry with Holyfield during their heyday – including the infamous ‘Bite Fight’.
Tyson himself returned to the ring last year when he “drew” with Roy Jones Jr in an exhibition bout.