Child climate activists ‘forced to swallow’ – Conservative MP
Children have activism “forced down their throats” as a way to fight climate change, a Tory MP said.
Siobhan Baillie suggested that British children should train as scientists and become “problem solvers of solutions for the future” like climate change, instead of joining groups like Insulate Britain or Extinction Rebellion.
Speaking at the Conservative Party conference on Monday, the MP for Stroud said: “The first thing is that we know young people already care. We hear that teens want a job with heart, whatever that means.
“I wanted a job that made money when I was growing up, but the kids are really changing now, they come home and try to change their parents too.”
Ms Baillie said she had received “so many letters” from school children in her constituency who “displeased” her and asked her to “dissuade the prime minister” from acting on the climate crisis.
She added: “But what we also know is what is often on TV, what is often in some ways forced down their throats, is that climate activism means they see people lying on freeways or seeing people stopping other people going to work.
“We can make this incredibly positive. We can be successful where we do not doom the climate emergency.
“We can ask these kids to become scientists… we can ask them to be the problem solvers of solutions for the future.”
Over the past month, protesters from the Insulate Britain group have targeted the M25, M4, Port of Dover and London roads, lying or sitting on the road to prevent cars from moving.
At the ‘Green Industrial Revolution’ conference, Business Secretary Greg Hands said the upcoming Cop26 meeting was a chance for the UK to ‘lead by example’ by demonstrating its plans from scratch net.
Mr Hands said: “We have a cop next month. In the UK we have to lead by example, this is what we do, what we have done and we have to lead the rest of the world.
“At the end of the day, the UK only supplies 1% of global emissions. We must influence others, our international partners so that they also do their part, the remaining 99%. This is what the Cop26 will be in Glasgow in a month. “